Diesel being eaten, help!

For the last few weeks our 110 300Tdi has been eating diesel, granted most of our driving is short runs, but it's using a lot more than it should.

The only problem i'm aware of is the exhaust blowing from between the mid-box and tailpipe (it's on my to-do list) but i didn't think that would make it eat fuel at the rate it is. I've not seen or smelled any diesel leaks either.

Has anyone got any suggestions of things to check? or does it just need a good tune-up?

:(

Before you jump to any expensive conclusions - I would scientifically test the fuel consumption by topping the tank right up to the filler, driving some and filling it up again.

If the consumption is genuinely high then it has to be going somewhere. If it's not leaking, then it must be being burned. Unfortunately, you will need the help of a grown-up to test the injectors and injection pump.

Si