Help lost low ratio

TravelTed

Hi My wife and I have just had two great weeks green-laning around the south end of England and Wales, first week was fine doing lanes in Norfolk, Suffolk, and working our way down to Portsmouth and Exeter, When we left Exeter the first lane we came to required low ratio due to terrain halfway up a reasonable climb over rocky terrain the low ratio jumped out and would not stay in. we managed to do a reverse descent with the wife spotting. We had to complete the rest of the holiday doing the lanes using high ratio at low speeds and had to leave the ones where had we had low ratio we could have managed. Still had a fantastic two week though. I have checked linkages with the centre console out and all seems ok just wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers towards the transfer box and if any checks and repairs can be attepted with the box still in the car. Discovery mark 1 1994 200tdi 3 door.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar issue with my late 200tdi having the low range first jump out and then losing the low range altogether in a very tight and steep lane. Dad & I traced the issue to the selector fork within the top of the transfer box and the grub screw within this having worked loose. To access this in the disco and remove the selector from the top of the transfer box we had to cut an access panel into the side of the tunnel which we undersealed afterwards.

The access panel we created.

post-13446-0-71869100-1313341469_thumb.jpg

post-13446-0-31549600-1313341490_thumb.jpg

The High/Low Selector that we removed and tightened the grub screw in.

post-13446-0-64167500-1313341503_thumb.jpg

Hope this Helps.

Ryck

Ted

Just make sure you remove the selector arm carefully from where it connects to the selector housing so as not to loose the clip and pin. From then it is just the 6 bolts to take it off. Best to reseal it with either sealant or a new gasket and in there you should see the arm and the grub screw if that has come loose.

All the best

Ryck

We've just been out for the day laneing in our Disco, and lost high range after coming off a lane. I was already aware of this as similar happened a couple of years ago, so I'd cut the access flap & had spare pins & clips etc (just in case!) so we could sort it out at the roadside. It's still a bugger to get at with those 2 fiddly little plastic bushes as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted

Just make sure you remove the selector arm carefully from where it connects to the selector housing so as not to loose the clip and pin. From then it is just the 6 bolts to take it off. Best to reseal it with either sealant or a new gasket and in there you should see the arm and the grub screw if that has come loose.

All the best

Ryck

Hi Ryck

did the selector on Saturday, managed to remove the selector housing through the tunnel without cutting access hatch, so start to finish 2 hours. :) thanks very much for your invaluable advice it was spot on, cleaned the arm and loctited grub screw in place.

Ted