Changing from a 3 bolt to a 4 bolt power steering box

Boro

My 71 rangerover is fitted with a 3 bolt power steering box, the steering has play in it and i plan to replace a number of parts such as steering bars, rod ends, the steering uj's and shaft between the pas box and column and to change the drop arm for the later type from my disco, as i dont seem to be having much luck removing the drop arm from my discovery which has a perfect 4 bolt pas box i wondered about bolting the complete box in in place of the 3 bolt unit, bolt holes look the same and the pipes seem to be in the same place, does anyone know whether the splines on the steering box (column end) are the same or will i need a hybrid steering shaft, are the pipe connections the same thread on both boxes? anyone know of a source for lower steering columb bearings as mines worn and they seem to be obsolete, part number is RTC3982 i believe or if they are totally unavailable now how much work would it be to fit the discovery steering column? if i have missed anything please let me know, thanks

The steering column splines are the same on 3 bolt and 4 bolt. The only problem you will have is that the power steering pipes are different - the 3 bolt is always imperial fittings and the 4 bolt are normally metric (there are some imperial 4 bolt boxes but they are rare). You'll also need to use the correct bolts as, again, 3 bolt boxes use imperial bolts through the chassis and 4 bolt boxes usually use metric.

A Discovery 4 bolt box would almost certainly be metric.

For the return pipe (which is low pressure) you can use the Discovery one if you have it. For the pressure pipe you'll either have to fit the metric power steering pump and use the Discovery pipe or have a "hybrid" pipe made up - your average agricultural hydraulics place will be able to sort one out for you if you take the ends off the pump and the box with you - just make sure you know the length of pipe you need and the orientation of the ends relative to each other as there's not much room for flex in a hydraulic pipe.

Thanks for the info dave, the engines a 4.2 lse lump, the disco is 300 tdi (95 plate) but the pumps sold with the engine anyway not that i think it would fit, im not sure what pump is on my lse engine whether they used an imperial or metric but its annoying me anyway as the alternator belt is riding over the pas pump pulley so i may be better changing to a metric pump if it also solves that issue