300tdi back crank seal

munkymush

hi all, ive got a 1998 300tdi auto disco , looks like the back crank seals leaking.whats considered the best way to tackle it as far as removing gearbox is concerned?

is it easier to take off box alone or engine/box out as a unit and do it in comfort off garage?

also while its out is there anything that i should be doing maintenance wise to the auto box while its out? mileage is 100k ..

I took the transfer box off the main box, but mainly as I was fitting a rebuilt unit on return. It does however make it easier to handle as not an awkward off centre weight. Depending on how many miles the vehicle has done you may as well put a new clutch (and pivot arm!) in while you're at it - with a leaking crank seal the clutch plate is more than likely contaminated (mine was slipping because of it).

you may as well put a new clutch (and pivot arm!) in while you're at it - with a leaking crank seal the clutch plate is more than likely contaminated (mine was slipping because of it).

Not on an auto you don't LOL! :)

I use the gearbox back method, which on an auto gives you more room to work than a clutch/flywheel in the way and just a spindly flex plate to take off instead of that whopping-great lump of pig iron :)

Use a genuine seal - some after market ones last almost no time at all.

Les.

thats it then , ill pop the box back, simples as alexander says :wacko: . is there anything i need to be doimg to an auto box while its off in the way of maintenance or stuff that i cant get to when its in situ? its done 100k miles now and it does seem to be ok ..

One more thing - clean the seal land with some wire wool before fitting the seal and lightly oil it. Use the fitting ring as well or the seal lip may flip over as you push it on.

In case you didn' know - torque converter is fitted to the box and not the engine when putting it back together and make sure it's located properly on the gearbox splines.

Les.

There is also a seal where the nose of the torque converter fits the transmission. You may want to inspect it before putting everything back. Transmission fluid leak from there should be easy to spot. Replacing the seal involves removing the torque converter but after that its easy.

Steve