gear stick stiff

defender dinky

hi, drove about 30 miles this morning got off motorway then using gears more, and noticed the gear stick seemed abit stiff not alot but stiffer than normal, is there any reason for this, i must say when i did my rebuild 18mnts ago i put the wrong oil in gearbox relised what i had done and changed it straight away without driving it , any idea's cheer's defender dinky

That explains the problem, on the Discovery shifter there is a 'steel ball' on the gear lever where it enters the top of the gearbox, it sits in a nylon housing, it is very common for the nylon to swell or the steel ball get rusty or both, the result is when the box gets hot shifting becomes stiff. To fix you will need to remove the gear lever, after first removing the two centering springs, (carefully) then treat the ball on the gear lever to a good wire brushing, check the condition of the nylon insert (pocket) and replace if necessary, All can be done with the box in situ. Hope this helps. :i-m_so_happy: Ian Ashcroft

That would also explain the problem I've been having recently. LT77 disco box, horrible smell of ATF inside the car after a run and stiff shifting when the box was hot. I took mine apart at the weekend and saw there was ATF on the top of the plate around the ball, so swapped the whole assembly for one off a scrap gearbox that seemed to be doing a fairly good job of keeping the water out. Thanks for the explanation Ian!