EDC 300 Disco Cold Starting

tjolliffe

Hi all,

I've got the usual cold start issues associated with EDC, it does always start though just quite sluggish.

Has anyone found a way around this problem? I think I heard somewhere that you can put a resistor in behind the tmperature sensor in order to 'trick' the ECU into thinking its colder than it is thus giving it more fuel to start.

Anyone got any ideas/tips?

Many thanks

Tom

Its not really too fair to moan about 300EDC cold starting - its just that ordinary 300TDI's start so very well ! The first thing is that all 4 glow plugs must work as the start quantity is alot less with EDC.Second is cranking speed,an extra earth cable from the battery neg post to the engine block is a very good idea.(With all 300TDI disco's - it can give the handbrake cable a rest from passing current and melting) Also having a decent battery/alternator and starter are a must.With that in place there is no problem - unless the engine is worn out anyway.I dont normally give individual examples but I still run one of these because they are so useful and reliable.Mine is on 183,000m - not very high really,but is still going VERY well,burning no oil etc. A few weeks back on the first coldish morning of autumn it cranked a few times before coughing into life.That morning I found only one plug was working.With three new ones it now fires up perfectly from cold just letting the glow lamp go out while putting seat belt on etc.