Top marks for MIB Components - Defender Rear Crossmember

Mark

Some time ago, I asked about rear crossmember replacement options for my td5 110, and other than the usual suspects the name that seemed to come up was MIB components.

So, not being one to rush into things, I had a chat with them at the July version of the Newbury sortout this year, and had a good look at their replacement crossmembers, and was pretty impressed with the quality of what they were producing, and what they were trying to achieve.

Again, leaving some time to think, I spoke to them again on the phone a couple of weeks before the september Newbury sourtout, as I wanted to check they would be bringing what I was after with them - they weren't, but could make one for me, and bring it.

I ordered thier heavy duty replacement crossmember, which means the main box is made of 3mm rather than 2mm steel. Other than that it would be completely standard. However, since they were making it up for me, I also asked if they could add some recovery eyes into the cross member, tied into the main chassis rail sections - something I had intended to do were I to make up a crossmember myself.

They were more than happy to include these modifications, and charged a very reasonable amount to do so.

So, at Newbury, I took delivery of my new replacement crossmember :-) - I had left it on thier stand most of the day, and they also mentioned they had had several other enquiries for crossmembers with recovery eyes built in, so this may now become a standard product offered.

Got it home, and looked at it next to my truck, at which point I noticed a slight issue - which obviously was to do with the modifications I had asked for - essentially they had used the 2 sets of holes for the tailgate hinges to open up and pass the loop through for my recovery eyes. My 110 is a doublecab, and I rather like my tailgate, so I gave them a call....

MIB were very apologetic, and organised a courier to pick the wrong one up, made a new one, with the recovery eyes where they wouldn't interfere with the tailgate, and sent it back to me.

So, having spent the weekend taking my old, very rusty crossmember off, and fitting my shiney new MIB one, I am very pleased - no alignment issues, really strong quality part, and with my extra mods.

So, well done to MIB - firstly for a top quality product, and secondly for a good attitude and customer service.

Cheers.

Ps. Here's some pictures ;-)

post-92-0-72917100-1322437666_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-61340300-1322437683_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-74419500-1322437699_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-94068200-1322437718_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-75804400-1322437737_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-70226200-1322437754_thumb.jpg

The holes all look to be good - although to be fair I left it on sunday night with the fuel tank still on the floor - waiting for a new tank strap from land rover, as mine was mostly rotted away :(

You know I don't really do shiney cars, but I have made a start on the doors...

• 2 weeks later...