Convert 1996 Disco V8 to cats+oxygen sensors

Tobias

Hello

I have on my doorstep a 1996 Disco1, 3.9 V8.

it was originally built for Egypt or Saudi arabia, not entirely sure, it anyway doesn't have any catalysts or oxygen sensors (lambda sensors.) Hence it fails the emissions test done at the MOT-equivalent here.

We happen to have dismantled a 1993-ish Rangie with a 3.9, Swedish spec, so has/had the cats and lamda sensors.

As far as I've read up in the RAVE, I only need to install the cat downpipes, wire in the lambda sensors in the ECU loom somewhere, change an "engine trim resistor" to a different value to tell the ECU it now has lambdas and cats and I'm good to go?

Any ideas on this?

The car is not mine so I need to be fairly sure about the scope of the work before we start.

Thank you for any input

Tobias

Sounds about right, but if your loom does not have the two white round connectors, then it could be difficult (each connector has 3 wires to it)

post-1948-0-06366200-1322608600_thumb.jpg

The connectors are around the back of the engine over the gearbox bell housing

You could of course replace the whole loom with one designed for cats but I seem to remember the looms are not cheap even second hand (around £100 second hand)

Im fairly cerain that there are no connectors in the loom, since the carnever has had any oxygen sensors. That is not my biggest concern. Im more worried that thete is no cable in the corrrsponding place in the engine ecu connector. That would make splicing in the connectors so much more difficult.

More input?

You might want to check the ECU part number as there are a variety of different fuel maps and the one you have might not have a map that is good enough to pass the emissions test you want even with Cats.

(update looking at http://darnone.com/atp/catalogue/landrover.html there is only one ecu for you vehicle)

If you need to add the lambda sensor wires all the way to the ecu plug then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_14CUX gives a listing of the terminal numbers.

The three wires on the lambda sensor are earth heater power and sense.

The heater positive wire (should be white/orange) goes to the 87a contact on the fuel pump relay

and the earth wire (black) seem to go to the ecu for earth switching by the ecu, but Haynes manual shows it as going directly to earth (which would cause the heater to be on constantly?)

Blue sense wire to pins 23/24 on the ecu

Note that NAS spec vehicles don't have a tune resistor

I believe that Catalytic converters were first required in the America, so for NAS spec vehicles I would expect that the removal of the Tune resistor was to only make it capable of running a Catalytic converter map.

The Tune resistor is a method of selecting a map (14 cux can hold up to 5 maps), so it all depends on what is the default map is and the default map might have been different on a NAS vehicle to a non NAS vehicle.

I think that the general consensus is that if it has a tune resistor, then put the right one in for cats

I don't know if the emission who have been stricter for America over Europe at that time.

if you have the cats and its only a matter of changing the down pipes would it not be worth putting them in and see if it pass the mot?

Not sure what effect it would have on the cats but it was just a thought and maybe worth asking.

Not sure how strict the test is in sweden

Since the lambda value was 1.17 and acceptance limit is 0.97 to 1.03 it would not pass with just cats, it would need the O2-sensors as well. But they are also installed in the downpipes we have, so as long as I can splice them in and install a tune resistor, that part is OK.

I have looked a little, comparing to another 1996 D1 parked at my place, but have so far not found the o2-sensor connectors.

Will remove the ECU and check the loom to see if there are wires to the corresponding terminals, if so, I will give it a try.

T