Wiring relays to headlights

disco_al

Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to use relays to supply power to the headlights? Aux lights are easy to sort out, but i'm a bit confuddled when it comes to using them for the headlights ie dip/main do they need separate relays, or can i use a changeover relay instead?

I got fed up with the very dim headlights on my RRC, which for the main part was due to voltage drops in the wiring. I used 2 relays for each headlight - a change over relay for the dip/main beam and another with a normally open contact to switch power onto the common contact of the dip/main relay. I used separate fuses too - don't want them suddenly going out on a twisty country lane!

I smashed a headlight bulb and soldered wire in its place, so I could just plug this into the socket for the original headlight bulb to feed the coils of the relays. This way I could keep the loom original. The live feed I took straight from the back of the alternator. The headlights are now transformed, in fact I lose virtually no voltage in the loom so thay get the full 14v from the alternator. I find I am having to replace the bulbs a bit more often now though!

I remember there was some subtlety in the wiring for the relays, but can't quite remember what that was. Will see if I can find the diagram if you like...

Got me thinking now...I think it was just that I had to put the change over contact upstream of the other one like this:

post-33675-0-21273200-1322653344_thumb.jpg

This is so I got the change over functionality for the 'flash', which the original loom did not provide (both fillaments were on simultaneously) I have missed off the 20A fuse on the live feed, but you get the idea. If your existing loom works how you want you could use 2 SPST relays I suppose. Hope this helps :)