Series 1 doors

Chris Davies

Hi, I bought a set of series 1 doors at a clearance sale the other day. The doors have galvanised frames. Do all series 1 doors have galvanised frames or do I have something unusual here.

Secondly they have lift up handles does this mean they are 86/88" and not 80"

Cheers

Chris

All series 1 doors (86 and 88) have galvanised frames. 809's are a bit different - alloy on the bottom and rust and galv frames on top.

80 in doors have a sloping back - 86/88 are straight or square - with recessed handles which look a bit like S2/3 ones but smaller. Early 80in (basically 1600's) have no external door handles, 2 litres have a thin pressed steel handle on the outside. The handle projects forward and no doubt could be wrenched off easily by bits of hedge and the like so on the much improved S1 they recessed them.

1600's have internal handles (same as 2 litres) but the back lower corner of the door top is cut away and covered with a canvas flap to give access.

I think 88's have a glass front window - on the earlier ones the windows are all perspex (now known as acrylic)