Electrical Gremlins - Indicators and Heater Blower motor

axlechorus

Dear All

So while Driving/Sailing home to Worcs from Falmouth today the Disco ran very well except for a rather wierd electrical problem around Bristol.

What happened was I would lose my indicators and also at the same time lose the heater blower motor. Then after about 4/5 minutes both would come back to life before going dead again for another 4/5 minutes. This went on a fair few times and I havent a clue what the problem was.

I know that my indicator trailer light is nearly always on currently as I need to sort the resistence in the circult and my trailer wiring out in general but this has been fine for months. It was also very very wet at this time but the whole journey was wet but could it be water in the trailer wiring at the back causing someform of short?

Any throughts/ideas welcome on this one?

Cheers

Ryck

it's possible that you've got an electrical short causing problems. the indicators could be down to the high resistance from the bad connection on the trailer causing the flasher relay to overheat and play up. as for the heater, water can leak in through the scuttle panel under the wipers and end up ingressing the motor, causing problems, in some cases it has run down the wiring and affected the heater relay (under the glove box as well), causing intermittent problems.

Thanks for that disco_al - I was wondering if they shared the same relay on a 200tdi somewhere as the were both going at exactly the same time halfway through moving from one lane to another with the heater on full and the indicator on and both would die such that they have to be linked somewhere. Do they share any wiring at all?