TD5 harness without an ECU or Alarm and a 200tdi

I'm trying to get this working and have searched and posted before, but the problems continue

I have the battery hooked up and I can't get the lights to turn off, they are on the 1/6 mode I believe.

I have bridged the wires in the dip/dim relay- blue/red wire to blue/red wire and I still have the problem.

The only way I get them to go out is to pull three 10amp fuses in the passenger compartment bulkhead fuse-box.

(It almost seems that the wires coming from the headlights have power coming from them.)

It also seems that when I turn the key and turn the lights on, only the left side head light beam comes on, The right side seems to stay a the 1/6 setting. In the rear, only one directional (indicator) works, staying yellow

Also the Left horn works as it should, but when I hooked up the right side it sounded as soon as the battery was re-attached.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, this has snarled my progress!

If I've understood this correctly you are trying to run a Tdi engine from a Td5 loom?

Surely it would be easier to either source the correct loom or even better make your own? Making a loom isn't difficult or even expensive if you can follow a wiring diagram.

Is the lighting switch OK, tomaco ?

Which 3 fuses are you pulling ?

Are you using a TD5 bulkhead ? if so, are you using the bulkhead earth stud and is the bulkhead earthed to the chassis ? There should be a braided earth strap between the bulkhead and the chassis.

Are you using the TD5 wing harnesses as well as the dash harness ?

Stuck, it's not difficult to do.

Mo

The switch is OK

I am using the TD5 bulkhead, and I will check the grounding strap tomorrow

I am using the TD5 Dash harness, but the wing harnesses may be 300tdi vintage

The truck was a 1999 TD5, and the wing harnesses I got plugged directly in. I did get them separately

The 3 fuses are all 10's on the bulkhead fusebox, bottom 4th,5th,6th from the left.

Thanks for the help

The fuses are the RH headlamp, and the r & lh dim dips so that would explain why the lights go out.

Your wing harnesses are TD5 vintage.

The first thing I'd be inclined to do is to run an earth wire from the bulkhead earth stud to the battery negative. The earth wiring for the headlamps goes to here rather than to a screw in the wing. Make sure the earths are clean and that there is clean bright metal at the base of the stud.

Are you using the underseat fusebox ? I found it easiest to do so as it's plug and play and all your power supply is coming through a maxi fuse. Plus using the original connections means that the power is going to the right places. The wiring is long enough to mount it in the battery box alongside the battery.

If you haven't already done so, download a copy of Rave, which has the wiring diagrams that you need.

HTH

Mo

I got it to work today, kind of,

I disconnected the Right hand wing harness and everything else seemed to work for the most part. Lights only came on with the switch.

I thought if I grounded the black wire in the wing harness while it was plugged in I would be OK, but I was very wrong, Melted the wire and blew the ign 60a fuse under the seats.

It seems the only difference on the right hand side wing harness is the 2 wires for the dim/dip resistor (brown/white and brown/Green) I don't know how thwy would effect the ground or why it would screw up my lights by keeping them on 1/6 all the time.