Semi automatic Rangie Classic?

ezeman

I have just found a really tidy '86 rangie in a car yard for a great price (even has hidden lpg tanks)

Haven't had a chance to drive it yet and it looks like a standard 4-gear auto; however, the sales person told me that the car drives like a semi-automatic. Have to take off in 1st then manually go through the gears as the car accelerates.

This would be my first Rangie so I'm a bit in the dark.

Top gear is D, not 4, so I suspect the sales person is, we'll, following the tradition of 2nd hand car salesmen. Does this sound feasible for a Rangie to have semi-auto transmission or is there something wrong with the transmission that stops it taking off in Drive?

I guess the kickers question would be, is it fixable?

Thanks, Kenny

Yes its fixable, with a new (or different) gearbox.

This is a quote written by someone more cleverer than me:

"A common problem with all ZF 4HP22/24 boxes is the failure of the one way "sprag" clutch. Once the cams in this one way sprag clutch "flip" the unit will slip both ways resulting in the vehicle only pulling off with the shifter in position "1" not "D" and driving OK when shifted up to position 2,3 and D until you stop then you need to pull it back to "1" to start off again."

Hope that helps, Dave

Sprag clutch has inverted. Can be driven in that condition but the cure is either a 'box removal & overhaul or a recon. 'box. Budget for min £1000 (to include labour) I would think. Personally I would walk away.

Thanks - thought as much. The rest seems sound - very clean, no oil drips, almost no rust, and has regular servicing. It's done a whopping 360Kms but that's quite normal for australia,

The big seller for me is that it's got hidden lpg tanks; usually, they take up half of the luggage space.

I can cope with one major fix (no more), so if it passes roadworthy checks and is OK to drive for a while until I source another gearbox - I might just go for it.

Thanks for the advice,

my dad had this several times on his RRC, although it is possible to drive it, he ended up wrecking the transfer box too by stopping with it in D, forgetting to put it in 1, trying to pull away, then moving the selector to 1 with the engine revving too much. not exactly a patient man, my father!

The big seller for me is that it's got hidden lpg tanks; usually, they take up half of the luggage space.

Thanks for the advice,

If by hidden you mean underslung then that could reduce your ground clearance, depending on how low they hang (no vulgar comments please guys!). Depends on how much off - roading you do I guess, good luck with your perspective purchase - the Classic is the best all round car I've ever owned in 47 years of motoring, but not the cheapest!

Resolved - got a different Rangie - $3,600 92 Vogue, 260Km, hidden (and protected) LPG, a bit tatty inside but has new tires, some off-road mods, limited rust & runs nice - very excited, or I will be once I get it through it's roadworthy test.

The guy had to wipe away the cobwebs before opening the door, and it started first time :)

No doubt you will hear from me again as I work to get it up to scratch.

Thanks for the advice, Kenny