distributors

bobrick

hi folks

im progressing well with my rebuild of my series 2 in between welding up the bulkhead im tackling other bits and pieces. engine clean and repaint being one of them.

i have a query regarding the distributor.

the engine in question is not the original engine. serial number starts 901 making it a series 3, 8:1 cr 3 bearing petrol.

i have already found out the carb is not correct and someone on here already identified it as an SU. looking at the distributor now the number on the distributor is 40817A which makes it a lucas DM2 according to their data sheets.

is this the correct item for this engine, and when i take it off to clean the engine, is it worh keeping it or replacing it with the later 25D or 45D. which looks like the one you can get from paddoks.

ideally i want to keep the truck as original as possible but with the engine not being the original one for this truck im considering changing the dymo ofr an alternator and installing electronic ignition just to improve the driveability

i welcome your opinions

cheers

will

The dizzy will be governed by the year of your engine , so as to be right adv curve . I would stick with the SU unless you really want to go original , but as you are talking lecky ign , and alt , it would be a good usability mod as its light years ahead of the standard fit landy carbs , esp if its a HIF type Re alt the later engines had a bolt on alt bracket and it was a popular conversion pre defender days . JMHO