rangerover chassis

michael mcfadden

hello out there. i have a 1979 classic which i got off ebay /seller said there was no major rust / well striped it down for restoration and the rear end of the chassis from A frame mount to the back looks like a net curtain/ ok maybe not that bad but still needs alot of metal replacing now im thinking it would be easier to graft another good back end on as i dont like to give without a fight or maybe i should give up and save all the heart ache eny advise would be helpful

if i repair it my self with 3mm plate it wont cost a lot and and if i graft in another rear end of an 1989 classic that wont cost a lot its all about looking right and being safe the strength is in the shape i will post a few pics to morrow if i can

i have already rebuilt my 1989 classic /new inner /outer sills /rear crossmember replaced both inner wings and a lot of welding besides also fitted a isuzu 2.8 turbo engine /never realy good with autobox though

my location might be a problem and as long as it was solid / might be able to pay with paypal something like that / would you believe i cut one up for scrap 6 months ago fedup tripping over it dam/ said i would post some pics /not sure how to but here go s could not get photos on to post never mind / to big i think/

hello out there. i have a 1979 classic which i got off ebay /seller said there was no major rust / well striped it down for restoration and the rear end of the chassis from A frame mount to the back looks like a net curtain.

Been used for launching boats (into salt water) perhaps? I've had four 'classics' the oldest being '85 & never had major chassis corrosion.

yes i think it was used for launching boats/ its hard to get a pre1980 chassis over here / have been quoted 2000 euro/ plus i have one already just it has minor rust problem/ the reason there that price is that over here 30+year old cars are 52 euro a year road tax but my 1989 classic costs 1400 euro a year because it 22 year old have to wait another 8 years be for the tax is down to 52 or what ever it is then /you need 4x4 over here as every where is a green lane once your off the main road / and if you didnt notice my accent im from northampton

well the insurance is around 450 euro remember i have a non standard engine 2.8 isuzu took out the 3.5 efi so not bad plus i did not shop around/ because i was just glad to get it/

Could be worse I suppose for a (heavily?) modified vehicle, probably not much difference to ours if the car still had the original lump.