oil seeping from around head bolts 300tdi

i've been noticing patches of oil under the landy for a while now. not unheard of, sure, but it's getting worse.

exploration reveals a lot of oil on top of the diff and on thr steering bars below. often there's a drip on the bottom of the oil filter, which i've changed and checked for tightness.

i removed the rocker cover, cheched the gasket and cleaned the whole area. now i can see patches of oil forming around the head bolts under the rubber engine cover, and i don't know what that signifies?

anything to do with the head gasket? i've had no overheating and the water seems clean.

i'm planning on gunking and steaming off the engine to see if i can find anywhere else wet, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Is your engine breathing or pressurising? If you run the engine with the oil cap off is there a lot of smoke or pressure escaping? If it is then it is not always be a head gasket that causes this but could be worn bores or piston rings, worn valve seats or valve oil seals. Also remove the dip stick and see if there is any pressure coming out of there.

It could also be a blocked engine breather. Take off the breather and clear in out with petrol or similar.

What mileage has your engine done?

53000miles, so sign of breathing from filler or dipstick. will check all breathers tommorrow anyhow.

the oil's pooling on the diff before it hits the floor... maybe diesel from the lift pump mixing with oil from elsewhere making it look worse than it is? doesn't explain the head bolts tho....

You can get a little leakage out of the rocker gasket which might be looking like it's coming out of the head bolts. Might be worth changing it?

I would get some degreaser and spray it all over to clean up the engine. Then run the engine and look at where it appears to be coming from. The vacuum pumps can leak and this caused my old 300Tdi to fill up the little wells in the diff housing. But I had leaks all over the place too which didn't help. And my engine was breathing...