Stuck Lock Barrel

Hello,

I took off my read door lock (defender 90) at the weekend and was intending to change the barrel. However, when I line up the two holes, I cannot see a visible barrel plunger (see attached pic).

I’ve tried applying copious amount of WD40 and apply force into the hole, but I cannot budge the barrel.

Can I drill it out, or is my only option to buy a whole new lock assembly?

Cheers

File0118a-1.jpg

It is just a brass pin, I would try hitting the pin with a punch and hammer first and if that fails drilling down the two aligned holes should remove the brass pin. You will only need to drill a couple of mm deep as the pin is only about 1mm proud of the surface.

I had my rear door lock forced and the little pin was broken off while they beat the hell out of the lock barrel. When I came to replace it the barrel was stuck in the assembly, I found the best tool was a set of needle nosed mole grips. Put them in the key hole, lock them in there and get pulling/hammering the grips back out.

Evenutally it will just slide out, took half an hour of brutalising though.

Don't apply too much force either - as others have said, it's just a small ~1.5mm dia brass pin with a spring behind.

Pressing too hard and you're stopping the thing coming out. I think you have to line the pin up with the hole, by turning key - are you sure you're lined up with the pin?

Kevin

I can definitely confirm the holes are lined up when the key is turned to the appropriate angle. The trouble is, the pin is either currently depressed all the way (as there is no give and doesn't appear to be raised like the it is on the replacement barrel), or could it have been inserted upside-down??

I tried gripping it with needle-nose pliers and pulling, but it only budged about 1mm.

Thanks again

I don't think the pin will catch if it's 180° out - if I recall correctly, it's the semicircular channel that this pin runs in that stops it going round all the way.

Can you see anything stopping it coming out from the back? If nothing else, a sharp tap from the back may shear the brass pin, or whatever else is stopping it coming through anyway.

Edit: When I changed my rear locks, I changed the spring at the same time, so I had the thing apart. I don't think you can tap the back of the lock barrel without taking it apart though.

Kev

I don't think the pin will catch if it's 180° out - if I recall correctly, it's the semicircular channel that this pin runs in that stops it going round all the way.

Can you see anything stopping it coming out from the back? If nothing else, a sharp tap from the back may shear the brass pin, or whatever else is stopping it coming through anyway.

Edit: When I changed my rear locks, I changed the spring at the same time, so I had the thing apart. I don't think you can tap the back of the lock barrel without taking it apart though.

Kev

The bit that fits to the end of the barrel means you can't even tap the barrel out if you have the lock in bits as there is a lip inside the part where the barrel sits that will stop it (at least there is on the one I butchered a while back). I think drilling the brass pin or a slide hammer will be the way to go.