Overheating.

galwayguy

My 1.8 had a head gasket change 3 months ago - MLS, new rail etc. It has been running well since but now I have a strange problem.

Starting from cold the engine overheats within 10 minutes & the coolant bottle fills. If I release the cap the level drops to normal & the engine will run a little over temperature with the fan constantly on. The bottom hose stays stone cold. The Landrover manuals diagnose this as a thermostat fault so I checked the new type in line stat & it was operating. Because the problem continued I removed the internals of the stat so it is, in effect, permanently open.

The engine will idle all day with the cap off & the bottom hose will eventually warm up. I have removed & physically checked the water pump & the engine was correctly bled including the jiggle valve. There are no signs of HGF, no coolant loss, no mayo etc & there are no signs of exhaust gas leaking into the coolant.

If I clamp the hose between the stat & the top radiator hose then the bottom hose heats up.

Any ideas please ?

Could be an airlock in the system, especially as you've b*ggered with the thermostat. They need some restriction to help force air out, pulling the centre out may cause issues, and you may have altered the flow from wherever it's supposed to be going.