p38 dt fan belt

hi all, came back off hols today, guess what, fan belt on the p38 bmw engine dt, split not broke but split all the way round theres about 6mm of belt left turning the fan, need to get it changed asap, started it up and there was loud clunking, dont no if its the damaged belt wipping on something or not, is there any pictures out there to help me change it, would this have altered the timing at all, any advice welcome cheers dd

I have just looked at Microcat, and the BMW 2.5l DT has a timing chain inside the timing cover. The fan belt is seperate and of the serpentine Poly -V type, part number STC4455. So the timing wouldn't change even if the belt had snapped.

I have just looked at Microcat, and the BMW 2.5l DT has a timing chain inside the timing cover. The fan belt is seperate and of the serpentine Poly -V type, part number STC4455. So the timing wouldn't change even if the belt had snapped.

thats took a load off my mind,cheers dd

and yet more problems, the bottom pulley has collasped, the pulley has come off leaving the housing still on engine, now how do i change it, and where do i get a replacement being a bmw engine 2.5 dt, been on ebay no joy, anyone got any ideas, cheers dd

and yet more problems, the bottom pulley has collasped, the pulley has come off leaving the housing still on engine, now how do i change it, and where do i get a replacement being a bmw engine 2.5 dt, been on ebay no joy, anyone got any ideas, cheers dd

Do you mean the very bottom pulley on the crankshaft? That is the vibration damper assembly. Can you post some pictures, it might make it easier for people to help. I don't know anything about the 2.5 BMW engine I'm afraid. But have you tried the local vehicle dismantlers that specialize in 4x4's. Eg. blackcountry4x4 or equicar4x4 ? Just search for their ebay shops. It is always worth giving them a ring to ask if they have a part, because they don't always list everything that they have on the shelf.

Do you mean the very bottom pulley on the crankshaft? That is the vibration damper assembly. Can you post some pictures, it might make it easier for people to help. I don't know anything about the 2.5 BMW engine I'm afraid. But have you tried the local vehicle dismantlers that specialize in 4x4's. Eg. blackcountry4x4 or equicar4x4 ? Just search for their ebay shops. It is always worth giving them a ring to ask if they have a part, because they don't always list everything that they have on the shelf.

they can't help me, cheers dd

So, this part;

no 1 is STC3345, Look like there might be 6x M8x31mm bolts holding the pulleys together if you have the air conditioning. And a bigger central bolt holding it onto the crankshaft.

The smaller bolts haven't just come loose have they?

post-28226-0-44116200-1337270042_thumb.jpg

So, this part;

no 1 is STC3345, Look like there might be 6x M8x31mm bolts holding the pulleys together if you have the air conditioning. And a bigger central bolt holding it onto the crankshaft.

The smaller bolts haven't just come loose have they?

yes no 1, i do not have air conditioning, wwent to scrappie and the one he had, had the air conditioning pulley on aswel, could i take this off and just use no'1, just a thought, cheers

yes no 1, i do not have air conditioning, wwent to scrappie and the one he had, had the air conditioning pulley on aswel, could i take this off and just use no'1, just a thought, cheers

It certainly looks like it from the picture. The part labelled 3 is the air con pulley, a seperate item STC2329.

You will need item 2 though which is the spacer for when there is no air con pulley, STC2101. You might be able to recover your spacer from the collapsed pulley though.

It certainly looks like it from the picture. The part labelled 3 is the air con pulley, a seperate item STC2329.

You will need item 2 though which is the spacer for when there is no air con pulley, STC2101. You might be able to recover your spacer from the collapsed pulley though.

well back up the scrappie tomoz, and hopefully be sorted, back to the grind stone monday, you have been very helpful duncmc, let you know how it all ends up .cheers dd