No four wheel drive

Big Pat

Hi. I have only recently bought my Mk 1 discovery and took it into our wood last weekend and inevitably got a bit stuck. I selected low range and tried again. During the next few minutes I struggled to get out of the very loose leaf-litter. Only my front wheels span while I was stuck.

Can anyone tell me why this happened?

Does it mean, as I have been told, that the transfer box is banjaxed?

Is there a less expensive explaination?

Living in hope!!!

No, it means you didn't put the diff lock in (or if you did, it isn't working).

Without that, the power will (usually) transfer to the wheel with the least resistance which is (usually) the left hand front (unless you have a very fat passenger). Diffs transmit the power through the line of least resistance which means the centre diff sends it to the front axle and the front diff sends it to the wheel which will spin the easiest, so all you get is a shower of leaf mould. Locking the centre diff gives you equal drive to both axles but you can still end up with opposite corner wheels spinning.

If the above is correct, the solution is apply hand to lever and move to the left. If it doesn't move, or it doesn't cure the problem, it can range from a squirt of WD40 to a transfer box rebuild according to what is wrong but your best bet would be to get somebody who understands the system to have a look at it and see what seems to be wrong. Plenty of members on here if you're based in the UK you may be near to somebody.