knackered gearbox

calvin

i have just bought a series three cheap as the gearbox was dead. the previous owner gave a story of a loud metal on metal noise and then the vehicle stopped moving. engine runs shifter selects gears but no movement, with loud noise. drained the oil from the gearbox, very little oil came out, but a lot more metal bits came out, looks like the remains of the springs from the synchro ring.

would the loss of all three springs of a sychro ring would result in total loss of function of the box?

if its not the springs off the synchro ring what would cause such a failure? and is it worth fixing or just replace the unit?

any hints, tips or experiences would be useful.

thanks

calvin

county durham

UK

Just replace it with a second hand unit. They are fairly cheap, £50 - £100 depending on condition (and provability of condition :) ) You could then use your old box as an exchange with Ashcroft Transmission when funds allow.

HTH

Whatever the problem is, the gearbox has to come out for repair or replacement. However The only thing I can think of in the main box that would result in total loss of drive, if the gears are selecting ok is a broken mainshaft. Even with a broken layshaft or stripped primary gears you would still have top gear, so you could drive it by starting in low range top and change into high range.

Bill.

i have just bought a series three cheap as the gearbox was dead. the previous owner gave a story of a loud metal on metal noise and then the vehicle stopped moving. engine runs shifter selects gears but no movement, with loud noise. drained the oil from the gearbox, very little oil came out, but a lot more metal bits came out, looks like the remains of the springs from the synchro ring.

would the loss of all three springs of a sychro ring would result in total loss of function of the box?

if its not the springs off the synchro ring what would cause such a failure? and is it worth fixing or just replace the unit?

any hints, tips or experiences would be useful.

thanks

calvin

county durham

UK

Depends what you want to achieve, if your looking to get it working tomorrow, then a new second hand box would be ok, but if you have a bit longer, then you may want to take it out and strip it down to see what wasa wrong, the series box was the first gearbox I have stripped on my own, and have to say it was farily straight forward and easy to do (just needed circlip pliers, place to lay parts out in an orderely fashion, and the haynes manual along with the LR parts book (their diagrams are much better).

You've got to take the box out anyway, and so by doing it the latter way at least you know the condition of what your putting back in - versus having to take the 2nd hand box out 'cause its cr**!!!

OilIT