My 2001 90TD5 is squeaking. A high-pitched 'twittering' noise is noticeable from the front of the engine for a couple of seconds after starting, and for about a second between turning the ignition off and the engine coming to a stop. There's no difference whether the engine is hot or cold.

I've replaced the serpentine belt with a new Land-Rover OEM part (ugh, what a task!) and while in there checked that there's no slop in the water-pump, viscous fan, the alternator bearings, PAS pump or the tensioner-pulleys.

Still the twittering... Starting/stopping the engine with the belt removed - it didn't twitter.

Any suggestions where to look next?

--Tanuki.

"I don't have a Licence to Kill, but my provisional licence allows me to wound under supervision"

Crankshaft pulley damper ageing?

Next time you take the serpentine belt off, check the crankshaft pulley damper for play.

Will do - though looking at how much a new pulley/damper assy costs I hope this isn't the problem!!

--Tanuki

does the alternator have a regular pulley? Vw tdi's have a clutch in the pulley that fail and then squeel!

I've not come across an alternator with a clutch - though I have heard the bowel-rending shriek of an airconditioning compressor when its clutch/nose-bearing is grinding itself into a cupful of rusty iron-filings.

--Tanuki.