Disco td5 Fuel Tank Leak

mcc1979ian

Evening all, today i went down to barnsley to pick up a truck cab for the 90 (excited) then no the discos leavin a puddle, had a quick look and realised the diesels leakin but not sure where, so 4 hour drive later we're home and time for a closer look.

1st - good look round underneath - still not sure

2nd - 4 bolts out, gaurd off - still nowt obvious

3rd - degreased and washed the whole surrounding area - nowt showing yet (maybe coz its wet)

4th - its dry - nothing leaking underneath but it looks like when im starting it up there seems to be fuel appearing from somewhere

so the plan is have a look in the morning when its completely dry and see whats goin on and maybe remove the tank,

meanwhile im wondering if anybody has any ideas what it could be and if anybody has any advice on removing the tank

It's most likely to be one of the pipes on the top of the tank - on the Disco there is an access panel in the rear boot floor to allow you to get to the fuel pump - I'd pop the panel and have a look there first before dropping the tank.

Matt

Mines done the same thing THREE TIMES now. Each time it was fixed at the dealers, but I believe it involved tow bar off, dropping fuel tank etc. Only a £30 part but cost me big in labour (2 hr job?)

They never did explain why it keeps happening (despite phone calls asking) or what they've done to avoid it happening again in the future. If you can do the job yourself you'll save loads, you probably lost more in diesel than the parts will cost!

Dave

it's deffinately a pipe as it's happening only with engine running so there is pressure... they used to rub against the cross member or through the plastic sleeve which covers the wires ... the tank must be removed for fix though... unless it's somewhere near the filter housing

aye defo a pipe, pulled out all 4 and as per bloody usual it was the first one id removed, the green tagged one from the pump to the engine, eventually with the help of some plastic conduit and a set of access rods the other 3 are back in place and i just need to find out the part number for the burst on, so hey ho here we go.