oilchanges to Discovery 300tdi complete .

coachman

Good morning all fellow enthusiasts , I bit the bullet yesterday and did an oil change on my AUTO BOX , filled with dread I prepared the plot , sufficient holding capacity(at least 10 litres just in case ) arrange ment of socket`s, gloves incase oil was toohot ,and a mat to lie on ,new oil ready to go in ,clean around dip stick ,and enough clean milk cartons to guage how much came out so you put at least the same back prior to top up .

It worked ,undue sump plug ,drain into large container allow to drain ( clean vehicle in mean time),(do not burn hands ,the oil DOES get hot .)

Decant used oil into milk cartons ,mine filled 4.5 litres ,so refill at least 4.5 ltr then top up as reqd.

Oil was redtinged withh light tan ie was burnt and well in need of a change .( again beware of your service garage )( learn to D.I.Y )

All the best coachman .I know I go on but am only trying to help ( the wife says YES VERY TRYING ).

P.S THE OIL IN THESE CONTAINERS ARE FROM FRNT /Rr AXLES and TRNS FR BOX, as can be seen at the bottom of glass jar is a grey layer this I think is water settled down through the night. It just shows what you may have in your axls /boxes .

post-36830-0-65264000-1339580246_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-41706400-1339580260_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-68177700-1339580294_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-76203600-1339580575_thumb.jpg

Good job! I am planning to do my auto box soon. My RRC had a recon box fitted in Oct 2010, and has only done just over 8000 miles since. So hopefully when I do mine the oil won't be too bad.

How is it driving since you did the change? Have you noticed a difference?

Good idea that, measuring what comes out.

Hello duncmc ,I HAVE noticed a difference in the drive train pick up ,on the `it is better `side , whether it is a phsycological thing I am not sure ,( but you always feel good in a fresh shirt do`nt you )( although it is just a shirt )

I am wanting to take the vehicle for a decent run ,but I have to sort a few more things yet ,i.e fit rear calipers ,spend time on a stuck siezed diff lock lever .

The refill via the dip stick can be messy I held a finger over the end of the filler tube untill inserting into the dip stick tube ( still messy ).Requires cloth or cement dust on floor .

Another usefull tip ,to remove oil stains from your nice drive you need to brush in cement dust ,it will lift out ( soak up ) the oil /water /antifreeze etc .( bonus points boys ).

Why councills use grit sand to soak up fuel/oil spills I will never know ,being a mtr /cyclist I find the use of grit sand is abhorent ,because A it does not soak up very well, there fore leaving the road slippy ( they DO NOT use sand at Silverstone ) and B ,mtr/cycle tyres on sand induce instaability and skids .( Sorry for the rant ).