Low Bite Point on Clutch

zim

Hello,

A friend has a freelander, about 2000 i think. It's a td4 (i think!). Well, it's the type that you can blead the clutch on and it's a diesel so from that i'm assuming a td4. Mileage is about 100k.

The bite point on the clutch is a couple inches off the floor. It still works fine. No air in system.

Having searched google i've seen replies about changing the master, slave and / or complete clutch.

Can anyone shed any light on what normally causes this ?

We don't want to adivse one thing and it turn out to be something else and end up spending unnecessary money.

Am i correct in saying the td4 has a dual mass ? More expense i guess ?

Thanks

G

Sister in law nearly bought one the same which had had a clutch change at 45000, when i asked the question of an ex-LR mechanic he said ask them if they'd changed the hydraulic pack.....dunno quite what that means, didn't persue it as she didn't buy the car in the end. Never having owned or worked on a freebie I'm not well versed.

I think the clutch master and slave cylinders comes complete with the pipework. I would suspect the master cylinder is faulty as the slave just usually leaks and the clutch usually slips if the centre plate is worn, don't know about the duel mass flywheel as I've never worked on one.

This is the problem when it's someone elses...... :(

If it were mine i'd swap the master first, but at £110 ish i might not be too popular if it's not the fault :hysterical:

I did think about how to test the master, but haven't studied the pipe work properly. My idea was to dead end it somehow and then push the pedal down to see what happens. If it were to stop pretty much instantly, then the master is fine...if not the problem is somewhere else (in g.box).

G

The slave is a concentric slave and is in the gearbox. I have the same problem, changed the master cylinder and it improved things for a few days. I'm gonna end up getting a new clutch and concentric slave fitted, just cos it's getting on my nerves really bad now.