Gearbox chatter = more problems? :(

M&S

Hi all,

Had the clutch and flywheel changed on my D2 and the chattering is just the same as before. The clutch did need changing, so it wasn't a complete waste of money, but I'm now wondering about the gearbox.

It chatters on tickover or when coasting in gear until you drop the clutch. Also when at tickover if you gently push the gear lever to weight it in any gear (so as close as you can to engaging a gear without engaging it, not using the clutch at all) the chatter stops, as it does when you dip the clutch.

1st gear has been a little problematic. Sometimes when in neutral I need to move the lever into second before I can engage first. This has always been a "quirk" when it's winter and on the odd other occassion in the past. Just mentioning it in case it might be related/give more info.

I suspect it will be the input gear but would like that confirming? Also the noise is pretty loud, you can hear it at any speed in any gear when coasting or coming off the throttle. It's loud enough for me to be concerned anyway!

Is this a simple job to replace the input gear? I don't fancy changing the whole box as I know this one and it's history, and it's the smoothest one I've driven even at 156,000 miles. I know the oil has been done at the service intervals etc so don't fancy getting an unknown from a scrapyard.

I am flat broke having just spent the money on ball joint replacements, steering rods, clutch MOT and tax. If I drive until I need the AA will it trash the box totally? Or will it just get to a point where I can't select a gear and that's that?

It seems my disco runs on a two year cycle. Everything comes at once every two years!

! Also when at tickover if you gently push the gear lever to weight it in any gear (so as close as you can to engaging a gear without engaging it, not using the clutch at all) the chatter stops, as it does when you dip the clutch.

That would sound to me like the mainshaft/primary shaft has too much end float.

You could strip and re shim the box but the bearings are probably worn.

Unless you're confident to pull a gear box to bits live with it.

just make sure there's enough (clean) oil in it.

Probably be fine untill some other problem makes replacement necessary.

It has brand new oil in it, might be why it sounds worse than before the clutch change perhaps?

I am confident enough, just not physically able at the moment so it'll stay how it is. I have a 360 mile round trip to do now,typical, I haven't done that many miles this month! The AA card and toothbrush are packed just in case :ph34r:

Hopefully, as you say, it'll be ok for a while longer yet. I'd be happy to change the bearings myself when I can. I gues sthere's something in the tech archieve about it so will search when I get back.

Thanks, Martin

Hi, I did ask them, and check the recipt afterwards and they have used MTF94. Good thinking though, wasn't my first thought regarding teh noise, but I know some garages think it is atf in these and I know it isn't.

Funnily enough I am now in sunny Grimsby and after 140 miles with the cruise control sat at 60mph (very quiet roads all the way!) the box sounds better. There's still a bit of chatter at lower speeds, but the worrying noise and the chatter at tickover has gone. Maybe some of it was clutch noise and it's now bedded in a bit, who knows. It might be even better after the return journey, fingers crossed!

I could live with it now without worrying so much though if it stays like this. Still get looks from pedestrians as I pass them slowly through town though :blink: