Dead TD5 - blowing engine management fuse.

Yesterday my 90TD5 died. All the symptoms were of fuel-starvation - the power faded away over a couple of hundred yards and it wouldn't restart.

Engine cranks just fine.

There were none of the usual pre-start whirry-fuel-pump-noises - so I checked the electricals out and found a blown 20Amp fuse in the big under-seat fusebox.

Spare fuse blows after a couple of seconds. The markings on the inside of the fusebox lid identify this 20A fuse (and its 30A immediate-neighbour) as being part of the engine-management system.

I'm thinking either the in-tank fuel-pump itself has seized and is drawing excess current, or the wiring to it has chafed against something and is shorting-out.

Any other suggestions?

--Tanuki

"Gordon Brown had lots of experience of running an economy, but then

Harold Shipman had lots of experience running a Doctor's surgery".

I had this problem and the car was parked around 5 days until we found the problem. In my case, there was a short circuit in the blue header next to the fuse box. The short was caused by the extreme heat on the city combined with bad connections (the plastic get melted).