engine swap

john242

i have got 2 discos 300tdi's i am swapping the engines and gear boxes,(the body and chassis on one is in brilliant condition compared to the other) unfortunatly the rot box has the best engine and gearbox etc, is it worthwhile selling the spare engine and box or is keeping the doner (that spelling do not look right) vehicle for its parts,a better option.

Guess it depends whether you have space and funds to keep a donor. I have started to just fleabay the spare stuff particularly if it's not rare as the cash is always useful. If you don't intend to rebuild the other engine why hang onto it. Over the years I have hung onto engines and moved them from house to house and then ended up scrapping em.

John,

If you have the space, then keeping the donor vehicle would be a good option, as you have 'spares on tap'.

However, if space and money is and issue, then break the vehicle and stash some of the proceeds so when you do need spares, there's a pot of money to pay for them!

i live in a teraced house and space is deffinitly at a premium i've just swapped the hub/calliper assemblies and replaced the brake lines its annoying having to do it twice just to keep the doner mobile and legal.3 to 4 weeks for the engine /transmission swap but i'll do that in the garage this back street working is sodding painfull.