Weird thing - ZF auto gearbox

Boydie

I had a strange experience last week where the ZF gearbox dipstick started to come out of its tube, I was down for a gearbox oil and filter change so it occured to be that this strange occurance might have been a bunged up filter but to cover all bases and with some lateral thinking I checked the breather tube -- it was blocked solid !!! I removed the breather tube and with a long thin wire cleared said blockage and behold it was a small very dead wasp !! This brought back memories of living in Kenya and paper wasps taking a liking to nesting in exposed rifle barrels causing serious damage to the poor sod who next fired it!

As you would expect from Landys, access to the vent is bloody difficult, - unless you have 8" long fingers !!! The easy way - which is what I did is to remove the centre console, drill out the 11 off 3/16" x 3/4" long Pop rivets and you can then see it on the passenger side of the box. The vent is a 14mm hex head. When you pull the hose through connect it first to a draw wire so that you can pull it back into the engine bay, if you dont do this its not the end of the world as I found it easy to feed it back from under the car (my draw wire came off) into teh engine bay. I'd guess if you dont have access to a pop rivet gun you could use suitable self tappers to replace the gearbox cover.

While you have the cover off give the transfer box levers a squirt with WD40 and you might want to give the transfer box breather the all clear as well.

Completely non land rover but there was an aircrash investigation programme a while ago and the conclusion was a similar wasp had caused the crash.

Built a nest and blocked one of the air speed indicator venturi tubes, pilot ended up with his instruments giving him conflicting information and after not a lot of time to think about it or work out what was going on he made the wrong decision about what information was right and crashed, apparently this type of scenario is now part of the simulator training they have to do.

• 2 months later...

Version / Solution No. 2

Okay the wasp was removed and the dip-stick once again started to pop out, a close mate of mine suggested vibration - bingo, I remember that last year in the desert the circular cast iron block attached the the front differential parted company with my landy (it's still out there somewhere! :blush:) so I've now put a suitable sized "O" ring on the dipstick and presto now its nice & tight it stays in place.

I dont see any advantage in replaceing the afore said VNH dampener as they dont like 150+ kilometers of badly rutted and corrugated dirt roads.

BTW I should have added that this is a brand new - as in fully refurbished ZF4HP22 gearbox with ZF4HP24 internals - installed two weeks ago , so there shouldnt be any reason for the dip stick being pushed out of the tube.