Can I easily swap to later Td5 engine

Won't be a problem. You should input the new injector codes into the ecu anyway so will need someone who can write to ecu to do this, if there is anything else that differs (don't think there is anything important) then they could alter that at the same time. My Defender suffered from gender confusion for while after an engine transplant done by previous owner. Was fine but the ecu kept throwing fault codes as it was confused as to why it didn't have discovery bits anymore. Had it flashed when i did a full re-wire with no problems. You can pretty much do anything with it, with the right tools or friends.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. If it is that easy then great! There is a garage down the road which I think has all the kit to do the work. It's literally a half a mile tow down there, or will it run after a fashion?

I have heard about injector numbers etc, do you have to physically read the numbers off the injectors or would the garages equipment be able to read this

Dave

The ECU between early and late versions is different . The early ones are not flash programable like the later versions.

I have been talking to a few of the tuning companies about getting my td5 mapped and asked about upgrading to the later ECU. They can flash the later ECU with the early files but I don't think you can go the other way. I have also been told the ECU between defender and disco is a little different, I think it was the fuel would read backwards, it would however run the engine.

If your getting a later engine, I would just make sure you have the matching ECU.

Might be worth talking to someone like Gary from Alive tuning or Ian from IRB developments to confirm.

That is encouraging.

So to summarise then, ANY Td5 will run with ANY ECU as long as I take it to the man with the machine down the road and get it plugged in?

Dave

No... a 15P Engine needs to be on a NNN500020 or NNN000120 ECU.

You can put a flash (NNN) ECU onto a 10P engine with the correct software, but you can not go the other way (i.e a MSB***** on a 15P).

There are a lot of differences between 10P (EU2) and 15P (EU3)!

As a quick test to make sure it runs, just use your current ECU - I wouldn't even worry about injector codes.

But I wouldn't suggest driving it any distance with the wrong ECU and injector codes.

Ian