Td5 Clutch-related noise

Anglo-Frenchman

I've become aware of a high pitched whine that is mostly noticable when decelerating from around 80kph and which gradually drops in tone as the engine speed reduces down to around 30kph from where it generally becomes inaudible. If I drop the gearbox into neutral and coast, the noise disappears. I have also noticed that the noise can be heard when the clutch is depressed while coasting at speed. I've checked over the technical archive and suspect it might be the release bearing but would appreciate any advice.

Sounds like the release bearing. It's not worth doing anything about it until the clutch needs to be changed (unless you have lots of money). BUT the release bearing cannot make noises with the clutch out (released). So I am beginning to suspect main gearbox bearings - does the noise occur in 4th AND 5th?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, the noise is audible when decelerating in 4th and 5th and gradually drops in tone but not loudness as the speed reduces. If I knock the engine out of gear and coast at speed, the noise goes away but returns if I depress the clutch while coasting in neutral. Hope that makes sense.