Head Gasket Failure Cause

mcc1979ian

Evening all, iv just purchased a 1.8 petrol freelander for running to work. Picked it up cheap as the head gasket was away and the guy had no interest in fixin it himself. Question is could a buggered radiator cause the head gasket to blow or is there sowt else i should be looking at.

Have tested the thermostat and its working fine.

Water pump was replaced February.

No water leaks.

The radiator was basically missing 40-50% of its cores.

Have fitted an uprated MLS gasket and got the engine back together and running and another good as new but secondhand rad fitted.

The temp gauge sits just below halfway now and the fan cuts in when needed.

Theres no water/coolant leaking.

Am i missing anything that could have caused the head gasket failure do you think i was right that it could have been the radiator?

Am i missing anything that could have caused the head gasket failure do you think i was right that it could have been the radiator?

I'm no expert on the matter but from what I understand the HG is a known design weakness and can go without provocation. I presume the normal rules apply here and that the alloy head must be checked to make sure it's free from warps.....

Julian.

Checked the head whilst it was off. All was A OK. I'm just worried if i dont find the problem im gona end up havin to do another head gasket soon and once im back to work next month im only home 1-2 days max each week so wont have much time to bugger about with it then. Hoping it was just the radiator. Its the worst state iv ever seen a radiator in. Was basically a few rows of cooling fins along the bottom and a couple along the top and nowt in the middle and the guy had been running it like that.

Very sensitive to overheating, these K series engines, or so I'm told. If you've fixed the rad and you keep a hawk eye on the levels and the gauge, then you should be fine.

Members of other LR forums have carried out the thermostat mod and even fitted electrical water pumps to solve the K series headgasket problems. Have a look on other forums if a search of this forum does not have the info you require. I fitted a new modified gasket with headskim to my Rover 75 but the gasket blew again after 10.000 miles so I sold it and bought a Freelander TD4.