Finalizing MS1 V3 board. Step 65

Laptom

I'm finalizing my MS3 V1 board.

I still need to implement the PWM circuit, table switching, fan output and tacho output. But before I can start with this I need to finish one step on building the board... Step 65.

Is this step necessary when I'm going the well known route (EDIS 8)? I cannot find the final answer.

Second question; I know I can use spare1 as tacho output and spare2 as fan output. But can I also use spare 4 as input (for example table switching)?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

If you're building it for EDIS operation, and planning on using a PWM idle valve (AKA the Nige Standard) then you can leave a few bits off and will need to make mods to suit, here is the (relatively recent) picture of what it should all look like:

v3components_mods.png

You can re-use the fitting kit from Q16 for the TIP122. Also, bridging out R40 removes the unnecessary current control for the fuel pump relay. You don't have to bridge R37/R38 but the ones DIYAutotune supply are made of something that solder has real trouble sticking to, I bridge them out for reliability as you don't need the PWM stuff with Hotwire or later injectors.

OK, this is quite different from what I saw before...

I understand R42 & D1.

You didn't jumped R39, so I expect the Emitter of the TIP122 of the PWM can be directly mounted on the ground side of R39.

The Base and collector directly to Q4?

The IGN is used for R42, this is fine, but I think I still need to connect the IGN to JS10 for the EDIS module. Is this correct because that is not visible in the diagram?

Thanks FridgeFreezer for your help.

I don't have time to go through exactly how I arrived at this setup, but it took a *long* time staring at the circuit diagrams & PCB layout to find the layout above - the idea is to make connections as short as possible so you don't end up with lots of wires all over the board. If you trace the signals through you will find they all come out in the correct place and this will work with EDIS & PWM. You do not need to make any other connections.

I will say for the sake of clarity that if you are following this layout, you MUST NOT FIT the components which are shown as not fitted, as it could lead to problems.

Hi FridgeFreezer.

I found the diagrams and it's getting clear... This is indeed a very nice shortcut to make all these paths correct.

I'm now convinced how to go further and complete this.

Next sunday I will apply these changes (including the extra's as fan control & table switching input) and hopefully I'm done with the MS soldering :) .

Except the tacho output signal for the RV8 to check (use it without Spark A, B, C, D).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi FF,

Still having 1 issue...

I've got the ign circuit ongoing & the PWM circuit (seeing on MT & STIM)

Now I want to change the EDIS tach input signal (still have the tach input for VR/HALL/EDIS setup).

So when changing the input of U3 w.r.t. to your diagram above (or the long route, but same diagram: the original MS/Extra Hardware Manual says for EDIS8 setup), I don't get an tach input from my stimulator... So no ign or injector firing...

I tried your diagram multiple times and the original diagram. Both the same issue.

When I fire it up, tach is for 3sec= 3000rpm and FP is running, after 3sec, all is down. Other inputs are working normally.

Thanks for your help.

Tom