trailer lights,locking system, any electrical buffs out there?

danny70

Hi all have posted on here before and the help has been great. So here is the lowdown i am fitting a td5 shell to a 300 chassis, running gear and electrics. I am getting in the final phase of the project and am having probs which i thought somebody on here might be able to help with. Originally the 300 shell had two sets of indicators on the rear on the td5 i am running one set on the bumper. On testing the lights i had no trailer indicator on the dash. Also the hazards flashed at normal speed and the turn signals at double speed. After some testing and adding an earth missing in the line i now have hazards and trailer light continuous at normal speed. Turn signals and with no trailer lights at double speed.

The second part of this blog is about the door locking system. I know this is a long shot but i wanted to run the door locks from the td5 on the 300 loom. i know there are massive differences in the system but i was wondering if its poss to run the locking motors through some relays and the MFU. Does any one have any knowledge of the wiring code on the drivers door lock.There are 7 wires on the td system and i need to id up the motor wires. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi there sorry i tried to explain the problem in depth that what i am after didnt come across clear. I have issues that i need to deal with:-

1/ my trailer light on the dash flashes with my hazards even when no trailer connected.

2/ in indicator funtion the repeaters flash twice as fast but no trailer indicated as should be.

3/ has anyone tried to run td5 door locks on a 300 loom. I did wonder as the motors need power to lock and unlock wether its poss to set up a feed which is reverersible in polarity. Again any comments welcome.

can anyone explain how the dash knows a trailer is connected so i can start to understand my light issue. Please bear in mind that its a 300 loom running the td5 lights and am sure its my modifying that caused the prob. just dont know how. Hope this all makes sense

aaaaa.... if all the bulbs are good then the 300 loom mmust have a different resistance than the Td5 loom cos the indicators on Td5 are managed by the BCU(body controll unit) and IDM(intelligent driver module - integrated part of the fusebox) which senses any load difference and it takes the appropriate action, it's more complicated than non a D1:

Direction indicator lamp failure detection

The BCU uses the following logic inputs to determine if there is a direction indicator bulb failure or if the presence of

a trailer is detected. The BCU uses the information to decide which output to enable at any particular instance:

l Right direction indicators requested.

l Left direction indicators requested.

l RH indicators current sense.

l LH indicators current sense.

If a direction indicator bulb failure or a trailer presence is detected, the following outputs can be generated depending

on the BCU logic states:

l Trailer detected.

l Bulb failure detected.

l Direction indicator short circuit.

l Direction indicator relay stuck.

The BCU can be configured whether or not to provide bulb failure warnings.

When the direction indicators are operating, instrument pack direction indicators flash in sequence with the exterior

direction indicators. If a failure of an indicator bulb occurs, the corresponding instrument pack indication lamp will flash

quickly to warn of the problem.

The IDM monitors the current drawn through the circuit to detect for the occurrence of a lamp failure. If an indicator

lamp fails, the IDM detects the drop in current drawn through the resistor and operates the indicator relay at a faster

speed. The fast flash is demonstrated on the instrument pack direction indicator warning lamps to bring attention to

the driver that a direction indicator bulb failure has occurred. The current sense for the related indicator lamps (RH or

LH) are checked when a direction indicator request has been made that lasts for at least 160 ms. The current level

sensed is relative to the number of working bulbs and determines the request generated by the BCU.

The output is signalled to the instrument pack using the serial communications link. If the hazard warning lamps are

operating, both sets of direction indicators are checked using the current sensing functions to check the number of

bulbs on each side of the vehicle.

If the BCU detects that a direction indicator request has not been made, but one or other of the current sense inputs

indicate that current is flowing, a 'Relay stuck' output is generated.

l The IDM can signal the instrument pack to illuminate a trailer warning lamp. This operates when the IDM senses

that the current drawn by the indicator circuit exceeds a preset threshold.

....and so on ... you better download a RAVE and start studying the operation and the diagrams if you want to make a D2 work with D1 hardware ^_^

Hi there many thanks for the reply i have looked at the rave format and will have to come up with some ideas. I might try fitting resistors inline to replicate the flasher units i have removed. The D2 door locks are a bigger problem to run on a the d1 loom and MFU i think its poss maybe using a couple of relays and diodes. Again if anybody has tried this or has any experience with this i would appreciate their comments. Even if its your bonkers to try !