Td 5 fuel leak still after FPR change..

moose

Hi guys,

On my 2001 td5 (10p engine) disco I had a diesel leak down the back of the bell housing which has been getting slowly worse I suspected the fuel pressure regulator, as this area of the engine seemed to be the most diesel coated..

So decided to change it out ( i could never be a key hole surgeon ) fitting new gen FPR plus gen o ring and gasket...

Got a phone call while fitting it back together and forgot to torque up the bolt of the 3 bolts, tried to prime the engine which produced a nice diesel fountain from the bottom of the FPR.... so torque up the third lower bolt and primed the engine all good took it for a quick blast about all running as it should.

Now due to the diesel fountain I had created there was still some diesel about and so was not too worried about the drips.. this next day I check the FPR was nice and dry all good. But the pump made a noise like there was air in the system again, It started fine no cranking after being run up quickly the the pump was sounding back to normal and the FPR still seem dry.

This morning again the pump was loud again like there was air in the system but the engine still started fine. When i got to work had a look underneath and it was still dripping diesel. flicked ignition and the fuel pump was quiet (well normal) again.. it was too hot to check the FPR for a leak.

Any thoughts?

what to check?

my guess is that I goosed the gasket when i forgot to do up the bottom bolt? does this sound likely?

does the fuel cooler and regulator hold the pressure when the engines off as there was not much fuel loss when I disconnected the pipes when changing the FPR?

thanks for any input

Paul

Paul,

Is there any chance when you didn't fit the bolt the little O-ring became dislodged and is causing it to leak again? I ended up doing mine twice as I didn't fit the O-Ring the first time, similar situation and got similar noisy pump.

Jason.