A different direction ?? Could do with some advice ?

andy2986

Hi All,

My Discos V8 has just let go rather spectacularly.. Haven't had a chance to look at the engine yet but think it will most likely be terminal.

Ive also got a nice 300TDI Disco that I bought to use for some long-ish breaks away (thought I might try Spain first then as I feel braver go further afield)

If Im honest I don't do as much serious off road stuff as i used to just a bit of P+P and laining bit of a waste really.

So The V8 is (was) quite a sorted truck, 4.12 ARB's, All Ashcroft running gear, OME +5 shocks, Scorpian Springs, Megajolt, LPG etc , etc., which was great for all my off road antics but not much good for expedition stuff.

So Ive decided to break the V8 but am not sure what parts would be appropriate to keep for the other truck.

For instance, I am going to stay with standard tyre size but go with all terrain's so my Micky Thompson muds wont be suitable.

I don't need a suspension lift so will sell the Springs, probably go for OME springs but standard hight if they do them, maybe move my X-Springs over, but was thinking of keeping the OME +5 shocks at the rear and the +2" OME shocks at the front. Just because something isn't lifted doesn't mean you cant have articulation ??

The V8 has cranked front arms, DC front prop, would there be any benefit to moving them over ?

Maybe fit one of X-Eng's lockable rear anti roll bars ??

Will sell the 4:12 ARB's as I will be on standard size tyres (I've got a set of standard ratio lockers I will probably fit along with the Ashcroft shafts and CV's

Am I on the wrong track? or would I be better off selling all the bits and starting again with better suited stuff...

Andy

"was thinking of keeping the OME +5 shocks at the rear and the +2" OME shocks at the front. Just because something isn't lifted doesn't mean you cant have articulation ??"

Sounds fair to me :)

"The V8 has cranked front arms"

If they are caster correction arms I guess that doesn't help, but may give it too much self steer? But I'm guessing.

"was thinking of keeping the OME +5 shocks at the rear and the +2" OME shocks at the front. Just because something isn't lifted doesn't mean you cant have articulation ??"

Sounds fair to me :)

"The V8 has cranked front arms"

If they are caster correction arms I guess that doesn't help, but may give it too much self steer? But I'm guessing.

That's what I was starting to think, I'm kind of in danger of moving things across just because I know what they cost me..