Weird starting problem

mcc1979ian

Ok so on my way to work today my srs, abs and brake warning lamp came on followed a while later by the rev counter and speedo intermittently raising and dropping to zero. So once i got to work i had a look around under the bonnet and found the positive cable from the fuse box to battery had worked it way loose so for good measure fitted a new cable and all was ok. So now i come out tonite and still all seems ok, started no probs, then i was standing blethering and my radio started chirping at me so had a look in and the dash warning lamps were lighten faintly so i turned it off and tried to restart it but just got a clicking sound as if the starter wasnt working properly but at the same time was getting a chirping from the alarm. Looked around under the bonnet again and the cable from the starter to the battery terminal was also loose so fixed this but with no change. Tried tapping the starter but still no change, so tried rocking it whilst in gear but still no change. Hooked the jump pack onto it and away it went but then 2 minutes later the lights all lit up faintly again so its been abandoned at work until tommorrow as i had enough of it tonite.

Could this be a battery problem?

or

Maybe a bad/loose connection?

or

Starter?

or

Something to do with the alarm?

All the fuses are ok so iv ruled that out and the positive cables have both been sorted out so thats out.

(1.8 K Series engine)

try putting a jump lead from the negative terminal to the engine, otherwise get your voltmeter out and check the battery, should have about 12.5v across the battery after an overnight wait. If thats ok, take it to a garage and get a drop test done on the battery, it's often free. Seems like a lack of power if a jump pack helped.

ok so with a calmer head today i had another search around and found the earth from the slam panel to the battery is pretty much buggered, i also had the battery tested and its officially past it so its time to install a new battery and an earth lead