Rear window mind of its own!

02920al

I had this on the wifes freelander a few weeks ago. 05 model as well.

It was closing slowly and sometimes she would come back to the car and find the rear window open.

I took the door card and top seal of and sprayed everything with silicon lubricant.

Also cleaned the window under the seal as the dirt that had built up on the window was like concrete.

So maybe the window couldnt get all the way to the top because of the build up of hard crusted dirt on the window.

I think this should be cleaned regularly as part of the service.

I also wipe silicon lubricant over the seals on the door aperture to lubricate it and stop the door and window sticking in the winter through iceing up. We get very heavy frosts on top of the hill we live on.

After all that the window was back up to speed and wasnt opening on its own anymore.

Im not sure but you may be able to remove and replace the sealing strip without removing the door card.

There are 2 screws one at each end of the seal holding it on. But the door card is very easy to take of anyway so you can get to all of the mechanism to lubricate it.

Gordon

Had this on a 51 plate recently. Shortly after this the battery and alternator gave up the ghost and had to be replaced.

I was told by the Auto electrician who replaced the Alternator that Freelanders do this when they have battery condition issues. Some sort of Emergency access.

I have had the same happen to me.... I put it down to having the fob in my pocket and the button being pressed and held inadvertantly,

I have also discovered that when the battery is disconnected the rear window opens, again as previously stated I think this is a safety issue.

I was going to post if anyone knows if there is a way of disabling the rear window openeing on the fob but I think this is probably a no no.

I have had the same happen to me.... I put it down to having the fob in my pocket and the button being pressed and held inadvertantly,

I have also discovered that when the battery is disconnected the rear window opens, again as previously stated I think this is a safety issue.

I was going to post if anyone knows if there is a way of disabling the rear window openeing on the fob but I think this is probably a no no.

Why would you want to disable this feature?! This feature cannot be disabled! As you are aware the rear window has to drop down a few inches to open the boot! Hence the reason why when the battery is removed the window full drops otherwise your boot would be jammed shut. Personally I find it hard to believe that the key fob is pressed all that time in your pocket (about 6 seconds). Early freelanders had problems with the winddow calibration many owners would return to their vehicles to find the tailglass fully open. What year is your car?

Yeah, my thoughts were perhaps a key fob in the pocket thing.

Will check my battery too, see I that's on it's way out. The back window seems free enough but good advice regarding the mechanism and giving it a once over.

Thanks for the advice all!!! Will update my findings!

LR Nut, I want to disable the feature of the long press so that I don't come back to the vehicle and find the rear window open

Exactly the problem the OP was talking about, but I realise that you can't disable just that small part of

the rear window feature.

Mine is a 2006 TD4 Facelift model.

My vehjicle has a virtually new battery so that's not the issue, and the connections are good.

There seems no other possible explanation than the 'Pocket thing'

Since realising this I no longer keep the keys in my pocket when at home and I have had no

further issues.

( Other than trying to find where I put the Damn keys!!!)