Head gasket gone..or worse ?

unionjak

Hello,

My 110 ffr 1986 engine is throwing out white smoke by the bucket full, so I assume the head gasket has gone. So far I have been quoted £300 all in for a gasket change...but have been warned it could be the head. If its the head, then expect £550 plus fitting. Do the figures above seem right, and if the head is gone, should I go over to a tdi...and what price should I expect for that.

What gets me is the engine is a landrover recon(as is the gearbox) with only 56 thousand on the clock..bit early for gasket failure ?

Any help will be appreciated

By the way if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the Shaftesbury area then feel free to give me the number, if allowed to do so on this forum.

White smoke could be unburnt diesel, does the smoke smell? Are you losing coolant? Take the top off the coolant tank, are there bubbles when running?

Probably better asking this in the Defender section, you may get more answers.

Either go an buy or go to a garage and get it sniff tested this will let you know if it is the head gasket/head that has gone, it is unlikely that the head has cracked but may need skimming any engineering company worth it's salt would be able to do this for you. I take it you have a 2.5 NA diesel at the moment?

If so there are plenty of replacements around, Withams sell them crated now and again for around £450.00 for the whole engine!!

Jason.

Typical signs of a head gasket gone are:

Excessive water dripping out of the exhaust pipe

Tonnes of white steam/smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe indicating coolant being burnt

Tractor like noise and very poor running (even for a diseasel) :)

Bubbles coming out of the radiator filler when you remove the cap on tickover

Excessive pressure in the cooling system.

However, a cracked head will sometimes make the engine run on less than all 4 cylinders (that's what mine did)

Head gaskets can blow at anytime if the conditions inside the motor are right but that's rather early.. My series just popped its first gasket in its life last month, cracked the head aswell