Defender 1999 wipers kaput

Happy Christmas all.

Due to all the rain, I had a bit of a wet trip last week. No wading as such, just plenty of puddles.

Anyhow, having left the LR until I needed it to collect the turkey on Christmas eve, I switch the ignition and a) get no fuel lift pump and b) the wiper fuse (#9) blows. (No time to fix it as lack of turkey may not have gone down too well so a sore ass trip on the motorbike instead!)

The fuel lift just seems to have been a sticky relay but I am having no luck with the wipers and it keeps blowing fuses.

I can clearly take the wiper motor to bits but, before I do, are there any tips or pointers that may give me a bit of guidance. Is this a common problem ?

Many thanks

TB

If they are the same as the 300tdi - there are two plugs on the bulkhead (engine side down near the gear box) these are part of the loom and may have got wet, I covered my ones with petroleum jelly.

You could try drying them out if wet,

Only a thought,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Frax, water sounds like the culprit so I will probably have to pull the facia off and see that I find.

This is now a bit of a quandry.

Wiper motor is disconnected and the delay ECU is pulled.

It seems that the fuel lift pump is drawing its supply from the wiper circuit. Wiper lever up, fuel pump runs and then fuse blows. Wiper lever off - no wipers or fuel pump !

Hints welcome. Thanks TB

Think I would still try the two plugs - separate them and dry them out, the fascia does not need removed for the plugs I am talking about, they are hard to see and sit just behind the engine on the drivers side center, down at about frost plug height on engine side of bulkhead.

Worse than I thought. On looking for Frax's connectors, I noticed that the whole loom from just under the bonnet hinges to to top of the bell housing has melted through ! I suppose wipers and heater together are too much for a Land Rover to bare. A far bigger job than I had hoped.

Whilst I am a big fan of Defenders due to their ease of fixing, it would be better still if they did not fal apart with such aplomb.

F***in hell Three Blades, I hope you can part and fix that, The plugs I was talking about should have been help in place on a bracket and should stop the loom ever cumming in contact with the engine or any thing hot or was it the wires that heated and melted ? If it was then you still have a big problem trying to find out which one is overloading.

No chaffing. The loom is nice and tight and away from any hot engine bits. There has clearly been one wire that has overheated and left a nice burn mark for about 2 feet. Looks like it has taken out 2 or three other wires too. Hopefully no more so I may be able to bodge a repair rather than removing half the loom (unless somebody tells me that this is nice and easy). I guess that it is the heater supply cable as that was on full blast too. I suppose that I was lucky to get home and not get stranded in the torrential rain with a car on fire. Could be worse. Now I just need to find some time to fix it (along with the bust hydraulics on my tractor and a puncture on the road car...)

• 3 weeks later...

Slowing looking at fixing this now and identify and replace the burnt wires.
I have the electrical circuit diagram manual which is great for looking at each circuit.

Is there / does anybody have a list of all the wires and colours in the main harness ?

Or is it just a case of looking for all the long wires in the circuit manual ?
It is a 1999 Td5 with no extras (ABS, AC etc).

Also, when I get around to wrapping the wires up again (I will put the ones that burned in a different cover in case of repeat), should I use any special technique ? For example, is there a special type of wrap on cover I should use or avoid ? I understand that insulating tape is a no-no as it goes soft and falls off.

Thanks for the help

TB