Exhaust system for Defender V8 auto

I ran into the same problems with the y peice and down pipes when I fitted a rv8 from a disco along with its autobox. I used the disco crossmember and I ended up have they guys at long life make a me a full stainless system from the headers back. The only thing I struggled with was space for a silencer as I put a td5 rear tank in.

• 1 month later...

Right so one modified rangie x-member (extra couple of inches of plate welded onto the bottom to meet up with the defender brackets) and a ntc7320 downpipe seems to be the solution. Esr322? Disco downpipe does not line up with the td5 centre box particularly well. Now need to cad up a bracket for the front silencer mount. Had problems with the first rangie pipe with it still clashed with the member and the autobox. Was about to give up but spoke to britcar and they sent another one out which is a much better fit. Top outfit.

Dont know what the spec of the original member is but its lower than the new one. Can only think it a special the previous owner had Richards make to allow the exhaust go over it.

Anyway time put everything back together and see if this new old engine will run

So downpipe to manifold joint, sealant and gasket, just gasket or just sealant?

Iwas just going with gasket but I seem to remember an article somewhere lro? Where it said use sealant, assume something like fire clay.

Any thoughts suggestions?

• 5 months later...

Sorry to hijack the thread I am having problems with my gearbox cross member I used the one from the discovery the gearbox came out of after locating the top two holes I made and welded a plate to the bottom holes as disco shorter. Looks exactly like mikec pictures. The exhaust fits a treat however I have problems with the front prop. Its fine sat normally however under articulation it fouls on the cross member, I have a 2" lift kit on the defender. Has anyone else come across these problems???