Front ATB from Ashcroft. How good for tarmac?

o_teunico

Hi all!

A friend of mine has a 300 Tdi and fitted some 33" some time ago. Afeter breaking rear diff´s cross shaft he mounted a ARB locker + Ashcroft halfshafts. Then rear CWP exploded. Now is pegged (Ashcroft diff pegg kit).

Now front diff is dead and the original idea was a Ashcroft 4 Pin, but is out of stock. Beeing in Spain we discarded megasquitV8 (hybrid from hell?) because we just want a carrier to mount ouerselves at home. Machining here a P38A diff is not worthwile (haven´t found a cheap scrapyard unit).

Looking at Ashcroft´s online shop we are thinking that by some € more we could take a ATB, but, here is the question:

How good (or bad!) will handle a vehicle fitted wit a torque biassing diff at front and a "open" ARB at rear on tarmac?

I have the Ashcroft ATB in my front axle with 33's and it works a treat! Between a Truetrac and this ATB, I've had some form of a bias torque diff in the front for several years and I'm very pleased with them.

Todd.

I changed from 10 spline to 24 splines therefore the Ashcroft ATB. There is also Ashcroft half shafts in the front, I to had issues with snapping half shafts. It seems once you go up to 33's or taller, half shafts become an issue.

Todd.

My friend is running 285/75R16 (actual size about 33,5"). They are remoulds with Simex pattern. As it´s a 300Tdi it has the 24 spline ones as standar, but CVs are weak 32 spline ones (one already gone and changed for cheapo Paddock one).

Do you think that standard halfshafts and CVs will cope with the ATB?

A pic of my friends Disco with me at the wheel

irlanda2178pq.jpg

The money that you save with buying an ATB instead of the Truetrac, I would invest in the HD half shafts from Ashcrofts. Then you can get a set of Bearmach (BM) 2522 CV's for the time being, which are stronger than the ones that he has now.

BTW, very nice looking Disco!

Todd.