Auto box filter

coachman

SVA test pilot thankyou ,the vehicle in question is a `L`reg Discovery 300 tdi ,but I would immagine the parameters are similar .Regarding before and after `feelings` .when I bought this car I gave it a complete oils change ,and to accertain the qualities and quantitCoachmanies I decanted the drained off `oils` into translutent plastic milk bottles ,this gave me (a) the quantiities and (b) the quality and visual presence of water . The filling of my `box` is through the dip stick .Coachman

You might battle to loosen the nut holding the dipstick tube to the sump. On mine I had to use a blowtorch and a long extension. Have the car up on ramps at the very least so you can get some leverage. Also you might have a chassis member in the way of the sump. You will have to move this out the way (but don't take it out completely unless you have the right tools, because it is under compression). If you have a non-standard exhaust you might have to remove that too. Sounds like a good tip with the vaseline. That gasket is a pain, it does not want to co-operate.