Project 90 - Change of Direction?

Is that the lump in the early L322s? Having done a bit of work on the TD6 rangies, I have to say that I'm not bowled over by their construction or performance, and neither is my much more knowledgeable mechanic mate. They're none too efficient, and a bit carp for a big vehicle. The performance of the L322 that we replaced the turbo on a few days back was pretty lack-lustre with the new one on, and the MPG was fairly pants for a modern diesel. The 3.5 Beemer in the more modern cars though... Wow. Yes please. 340bhp and 550lb/ft with just a chip!
yes it is the same engine but depending on age of the M57 lump, some had a few problems and differences. I ran my 530d for 200k and it often returned 45-50mpg with 200+bhp . In that time it only ever got serviced or needed just a new set of injectors . The problem with the range rover and that engine is the weight , a defender 90 is about half that of a range rover so performance is much better. The Auto Box and and the M57 engine in the L322 will at best do low 30's mpg but in the lighter bmw X5 they do offer much better performance. The 3.5 you mention in the new BMWs is the same 3L lump, just has different injectors and an extra turbo.

Another mate of mine has the BMW 2.5d from a P38 in his 90, with some mods and mapping by Jeremy fearn, its running 180bhp and was very quick . In the P38 the engine was underpowered.

For fitting as a few have mentioned, It uses many of the P38 2.5 parts (for both the 2.5 and the 3L).

The problem is the cost of all the bits if you can't do the work yourself , even then the ecu and loom can cost £££.

Hi mate ive got a td5 bulkhead loom (missing diagnostic plug good reason why ) also a real nice tub (300tdibut you could

adapt the fuel filler} make me an offer will be re-build friendly :} got doors too

based in chadderton gtr manchester