What to do

d69

Hi all,

Had a bit of a disaster today. Was on my way down to a local garage to get them to look at my timing and some other issues I have had recently, when my truck threw a con rod i think. I have a large hole in the left hand side (turbo side) of the engine block. see pic

So i will need to source a 300 tdi lump from somewhere but I have no idea what to look for, or, if i want to take a gamble on a second hand unit in case it packs in a few hundred miles down the road.

I dont really know whats involved when changing engines, and I think i am just really worried about forking out a fair bit of cash that wont last if its a dud.

So, the other option would be (and this would break my heart) sell it as is and cut my losses I have done a fair bit of work to it including new alternator and steering box, new solid pane glass in sides and sunroof

and little bits like new track rod ends rear suspension and A frame ball joint. Really don't want to give up but due to other things going on I may have to

Advice would be greatly appreciated

post-30848-0-63640900-1361384933_thumb.jpg

If you find a reputable seller, there's nothing wrong with second hand. We bought a £350 300tdi off fleabay which we put in, drove for a few days, then the head gasket went. The seller payed for the replacement head gasket, and even a bit for my time to fit it! He sounded genuinely shocked that it'd gone.

The engine has survived a couple of years of horrid abuse at the hands of imbeciles (as a festival runabout) and pulling overloaded trailers, towed in deep mud, had the tits thrashed right off it to catch trains, planes and boats, and generally not been looked after very well, and is still going strong. I'm not advocating this behaviour (my mechanical sympathies feel very bad for it, in fact), I'm just trying to say that second hand isn't necessarily bad news. If you could find one that you (or a trusted grease-monkey) could have a look at, and maybe even hear running, you're away. You may be lucky, a post in the Wanted section on here might get you something reliable at a good price. It's amazing what folks like us keep in our sheds for little or no reason!

Fitting took two days, two oily bodgers, a slightly worrying home-spun engine lift, and many cups of tea and biscuits.

Anyway, hope that helps,

Jake

Its not worth giving up on, a straight engine swap is not that hard, its only when you start fitting TDi's in Series like I do that things get interesting!

It would help if you filled in your location, you might find a local member offer to help if you did...

I have a 300 TDI block crank and pistons was running OK when taken out after a wrong bit of fault finding (fault still there after changing enging) you can have it only catch is you have to collect from Leicester

Any help ?

Sorry I haven't been on here due to trailoring the old boy home

I would probably be interested if you weren't so far away