interesting issue and its fixed.

After a few leaks in the past I had a bit of an issue with my power steering, after the cold days of a few weeks ago my power steering went really lumpy like I have a octagonal shaft, it also squealed on full lock, have had simular before but no where near as bad when the fluid had leaked out, checked it but it was fine, checked my pump belt and that was ok so resigned myself to getting a new pump fitted but a mate who works on gates said to replace the fluid completely first as if it was leaking out water could be sucked back in and as the fluid is hydroscopic it could cause my issue, was a little sceptical but for a couple of quid for the juice thought it worth a try. All I did was unbolt and invert the bottle as I couldn't get the pipes off in the cold, spun he wheel a couple of times with the engine on to squirt as much out as poss with kitchen roll in the bottle to absorb it and then refilled with new fluid and after a few turns to lock it stopped squealing and just works but better then EVER pleasure to drive now, well happy.

Also fitted ostrom nightbreaker bulbs tonight and WOW what a difference, tiddle on halfrauds £30 ones and only a tenner on the bay well happy tonight :-D

I get very similar symptoms to what you're describing but don't have the balls to change the fluid. Normally when you change the old sludgy stuff for new and clean it creates a leak somewhere and the MOT's coming up soon plus I can't afford a new box right now...!