Occasional rattle from under Discovery 300Tdi

Typsey

Over the past 12 months I have had a very occasional small whine when pulling off which normally lasts only for about 1/2 mile and then completely goes. When I say occasional, I mean very rarely but it has been there. It disappeared after having the front propshaft UJs done (they had actually gone and this wasn't an attempt to cure the whine).

Recently I have noticed an occasional rattle from under the Disco. It has occured a few time recently and appears to be related to road speed. A couple of times it has occured along with the whine which have again diminished when I have slowed down and completely stopped when the vehicle does.

I popped under the Disco tonight to feel about after it occured again (slow speed and dissapeared once I got going.). The rear prop is solid. The front is solid at the diff end and feels loose at the transfer box end. When I rotated it slightly it seemed to make the same noise (metal slapping together) albeit not continuous as when moving.

I have been looking into differenct causes and it seems that the front output shaft bearing might be a culprit.

I would be very grateful for any opinions that you could give before I start actually trying to carry out any remedial work.

Typsey