Gear box gurus

Snagger

If i recall correctly zf's are all the same lenght, from what ever vehicle they come from. I do not know long how they are, but from what i could see and calculate, they seem longer than a defender lt77. All i know that fitting an auto to a 200 is rather difficult if you do not have all the right bits (flywheel housing is different on autos). Over here they are rather rare, 300 ones are more common.

G

As far as i know fitting an lt230 to a zf is straight forward, but in reverse i do not know, never heard of someone doing it that way! My guess that its doable, but not practical? who knows. The US guys all junk their BW transfer case in favour of the lt230.

G

I know about the Yank view of BWs - I also use expedition portal. But they do it because BWs are expensive to repair and they like to have a full diff lock for rock crawling and the lower 1.4:1 gearing. For my 109, the BW would be a nicer unit between that and a 1.2 LT230 (I'd rather that than a 1.4 with overdrive) if I have the choice as it's quieter and gives better handling on slippery roads, and they don't seem to have any intrinsic weakness like the Yanks suggest - my RRC's has done 200,000 miles and still seems perfect; I'll be opening it up to inspect the bearings when the R380 gets rebuilt, but it doesn't seem to have wear or chain stretch. Behind a big Cummins or tuned V8 doing all that crawling, a BW works hard, but for what I do with a Tdi, it should have an easy life. I'm wondering if whether a swap to an LT230 is direct, then the reverse is also true.

If you want the lt230, then find one like mine, out of RR 3 speed auto, its 1:1003 ratio, as i kept the 4.7 diffs. Its great in low gear, it crawls up obstacles. As for cruising speeds its not brilliant as i run 31' tyres, but it good enough for 50 - 55 mph, and tops out at 75mph. But it has very good acceleration and i feel its the right gearing for our roads. If i put 35's then it would be better at Cruising, but no good for our stop & go traffic.

Keeping the gearing low in the diffs puts less stress on the drive train, to the detriment of the shafts, as they become the weak link, especially when i engage low range (never blew one, and hope never too)

You should be able to find a BW cheap, lots of cheap RR being broken up there.

G

• 2 months later...

i am a new member and would lik some help ,i am rebuilding a series 2 1958 . i have a rover v8 to fit in and a lt77 gearbox but i cannot find a bellhousing or input shaft to match to keep it as short as possable any sugestions

thanks

tomld