Auto box swap on 200Tdi

Hi folks. I'm looking for advice an information on something well outside of my experience.

Does anyone know what's involved in mating a late petrol RRC's transmission to a manual transmission Discovery 200Tdi engine? Will the housings mate up? Obviously, the flywheel needs replacing with a flex plate and torque converter, but what else? How much longer is the combined ZF and BW assembly than a short housing LT77/R380 and LT230 ?

200 tdi flywheel housings are different between auto and manual and neither will mate to a v8 auto bellhousing.

The v8 box is not idealy suited to the tdi without modification either.

If you want to go auto you need all the parts inc' gearbox from a 200tdi auto disco.

Not sure about the B/W transfer box but auto and lt230 is about 4" longer than an lt 77 set up. This means moving the engine forward or modding props. There are other issues depends if it's going in a 90 or 110.

IMO the easiest way to go auto is 300tdi as it keeps everything in the right place.

Having said all that, there is a way to fit and modify a v8 box, but it involves a special back plate, alloy welding to the bellhousing and internal mods to the box, doesn't make economic sense given the availability of dico autos.

I have a 200tdi auto 110 (with the above mentioned v8 box etc) if you want a look.

I'd be very interested to take a look, Pat. This is a potential future project for my 109, just to be even more difficult... I have a good, rebuilt 200Tdi, but the SIII transmission is under geared, noisy and a weak link. I could go with an LT77 or short R380 and associated transfer boxes (I prefer the BW to the LT230), or I could investigate going auto, since this will be a long-range trip orientated vehicle, and the extra leg room from losing the clutch pedal would be welcome.

If you're putting it in a 109 then you may have the added problem of going full time four wheel drive.

You'd need a stage 1 CV'd front axle or it's possible to mate an FX Taxi B/W auto box to a series transfer box and stick that behind a 200tdi.

Best to pop in to work for a chat when I'm next on Saturday morning MOT rota, I'll bring the 110 in.

Ill pm you.

Thanks Pat. I already have Defender axles on the 109, as well as the Tdi engine.

I think the big problem will be transmission length - I don't want to be chopping cross members out of the galv chassis. I have a few inches spare ahead of the engine at the moment and a little space behind the transmission, but I don't know how much space would have to be retained to allow the units to be separated for maintenance, like replacing a torque converter.

I'll be refitting the 109's head this weekend (gasket failed), but I would like to see your handiwork. I'll PM you when I can get down, and hopefully we can set something up. Thanks for your help. :)