300tdi fuel pump

Hello Landie Folks.

I have recently purchaded a 300tdi and it is evident that the fuel pump has been adjusted. I would like to have a knowledgeable person reset it as the engine runs too fast.

I'm down on the south coast. Anyone know of a chap who can do it ?

Also, when the revs are a bit high and the throttle is kept constant - e.g going uphill in 3rd, after a short while the engine coughs and a puff of white smoke is produced. Cooling levels are constant. Is an injector bad or perhaps the timing out?

If the timing is out on a Tdi it will at best smoke all the time, at worst won't run. I would get the injectors checked first, check compressions 2nd ( or the other way round.. ;) ) and then worry about adjusting the injection pump. Where on the south coast are you?

I think you're heading down the right route: fuel\air mix incorrect. But the fact it's not running badly all the time leads me away from a timing problem. Have you checked the simple things first:

• Fuel filter clogged
  • Air getting into fuel lines
  • Air filter clogged
  • Turbo about to fail
  • Obstruction in, or the collapse of, an air pipe
  • Fuel sedimenter (if fitted) faulty

The fast running of the engine could be a number of things too. Have you checked the idle-speed adjustor? Mine came loose once, which almost saw me crash on a motorway slipway as I couldn't slow down! :wacko:

For the advice to date, many thanks.

My location is Brighton in East Sussex.

What I have done is filled up with fuel and added a bottle of Forte diesel treatment. I'll see what it does.

Failing that I guess I'll have to have a mechanic test the pressure and injectors.